In last blog post series we have discuss how silicone rubber gasket can be made using different processes and what different kind of material grade can be choose for making these gasket.
In this blog post we will explore more about where silicone rubber gasket is used and how it offer better value compare to other rubber gasket.
Applications of Silicone Gasket
The defining element silicone is inert in nature and does not react with most chemicals in the periodic table, making it a perfect fit for use in the medical, pharmaceutical, food & beverage processing & bio processing industry. Silicone rubber gasket also offer resiliency, flexibility & durability which also makes it ideal choice for mechanical, industrial and outdoor applications.
Silicone rubber gaskets have a wide array of applications across multiple industries. Mentioned below are some of the most significant ones.
1. Automobile: One of the most prominent uses of Silicone rubber gaskets can be found in automobiles and outdoor equipment. Manufacturers in this industry require a sealing solution that is not only well suited for outdoor conditions, but is also resistant to extreme weather conditions, heat, temperature, wind and cold. Silicone rubber gaskets being a perfect fit can thus be commonly found in any sort of outdoor equipment.
2. Aerospace & Defense: When it comes to manufacturing aerospace equipment, manufacturers need a high-pressure mechanical seat to act as a hatch in their equipment. Additionally, the mechanical seal needs to be wear and tear resistant, have a long shelf life and most importantly be resistant to extreme altitudes and weather conditions. All these factors make silicone rubber gaskets an ideal fit for the aerospace and defense industry.
3. Food Equipment: With the rising population, the need for food equipment that can safely store, transport and equip professionals to feed millions is steadily on the rise. Most equipment used in the FMCG industry is made of stainless steel as it inherently doesn’t react with any of the raw ingredients most commonly used. Along with this, this equipment requires a mechanical seal that is inert & safe in nature and stops leakage in high or low temperature scenarios. Here Silicone rubber gaskets prove to be an ideal fit, as its components are inert in nature and thus wouldn’t react with any of the materials that are being stored and transported.
4. Pharmaceutical Industry: Similar to the FMCG industry, the global pharmaceutical industry employs an exchange of various chemicals and thus there is a need for mechanical seals that are inert in nature and also resistant to extreme application conditions and temperature. Silicone rubber seals are thus widely used in this industry both in small scale operations as well as enterprise scale applications.
Why Gasket Made From Silicone Rubber Better Than Other Rubber Gasket?
Silicone rubber gaskets have a wide array of advantages over rubber gaskets. Mentioned below are the most significant ones.
1.Temperature Resistance: The main reason behind a Silicone rubber gasket being better than other rubber gaskets is its high resistance to a variety of temperature conditions, be it high or low.
2.Compression Set: Compression set is the technical terminology used to define the intensity at which a material can come back into its original shape once subjected to high pressures. While the compression set of other rubber gaskets are fairly low, Silicone rubber gaskets have a high compression set making it an ideal fit for various mechanical applications.
3. Purity: Silicone rubber’s inert, odorless and tasteless nature as well as availability in food grade & medical grade compound make it safer to use applications which demands purity as well as safety.
4. Flame Redundancy: Silicone rubber gaskets made from flame retardant grade materials offer flame redundancy, meaning that it won’t catch flames in a short span of time. This property of Silicone rubber gaskets makes it an ideal fit for door gasket used in high temperature scenarios, where other rubber gaskets can catch flames very quickly.
5. ESD (Electrostatic Discharge): In application where ESD or Electrostatic Discharge is a factor to be considered, Silicone rubber gaskets made from a combination of inert materials can be used, making it an ideal fit for such industries. On the other hand, other rubber gaskets do not share the same properties.
As we learned, rubber gasket & seal made from silicone rubber offers numerous benefits which makes it prefer choice for many of industrial gasketing needs. Accurate Rubber Corporation is a premium supplier of custom silicone rubber gaskets. Please feel free to contact us if you have any question or need any further information about silicone rubber gasket.